Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Going in the Wrong Door

Going in the Wrong Door
July 12, 2009

Today some of us dressed in our Malawian finery to go to church again. We trooped down the hill to the church. Ann said, “Let’s go around; I like going in that door.” I looked in the door we were passing and said that the seats we sat in before were right there. So we entered and seated ourselves. Caroline leaned over and said, “I think we went through the men’s door.” Sure enough all the men were seated on that side and the women on the other. I had never noticed before although most of the time I had come in the “women’s door.” But previously we exited through the men’s door. Todd and Jeff had moved from our side the last time we attended and I just assumed they wanted to be by themselves. Obviously, they had noticed. And I was oblivious!! I’m sure they have forgiven our faux pas. Malawians are gracious and loving.

The music was wonderful. There was a guest singer from another church choir. After the service we left to a rousing version of “When the Saints Come Marchin’ In,” one of my favorites.

The evening buffet was in the dark with flashlights. Half of enjoying food is seeing it. No Internet all day. And electricity was off three times during the day. Note: This blog is a brief summary of a blog I lost somehow and simply can’t create because I write each day and don’t take notes! I’ve tried to post for three days and in the flurry lost the original blog. Apologies to all.